Sunday, July 6, 2008

Module 3: The Perfect E-Storm

Module 3: The Perfect E-storm

I found the ideas presented in the Bonk (2004) article, The Perfect E-Storm, to be thought provoking. The contributing aspects of the E-storm were identified as emerging technology, enormous learner demand, enhanced and erased pedagogy. Bonk’s discussion of the emerging technologies caused me some consternation. I want to become an online educator but I am not someone who is on the cutting edge of technology. I am having enough trouble learning technology that is years old, so Bonk’s article caused me to question my ability to keep current enough to be an effective teacher.

Then, I got to the resources area of Bonk’s (2004) article. This section got me very excited and I was especially thrilled to find the particular area that identified resources available for college level instructors. This section caused the article to rise from mildly interesting to a Wow! level.

Ledlow’s (1996) article on Using Jigsaw in the College Classroom gave a name to a technique I’ve seen used on numerous occasions with a variety of success levels. I also liked the way the article formalized the aspects of the technique, taking a lot of startup issues out of the learning curve. I thought this article will prove to be one of the most valuable to me in teaching adult learners.

The McLinden and Trochim article, From Puzzles to Problems,: Assessing the Value of Education in a Business Context with Concept Mapping and Pattern Matching (1998) was a window through which we need to start viewing the world. As educators, we like to pretend we are above having to address the value of education in monetary terms. However, that value is a huge selling point that I think we need to start to address in our efforts to persuade students to remain in school as well as selling the public on providing the monetary support necessary to provide a quality education.

On the discussion board many of my peers in this class were wondering about the value of the concept mapping activity. I think, many of the people in this group are a cut above the run-of-the-mill teacher. This group seems to have many people who are cutting-edge, technology people for their districts, as well as others like me who aren’t bound hand-and-foot to the teachers’ editions. We are so used to assessing the students’ needs and what they need to get there from here that we forget that mind/concept mapping is a learned skill. Many of us in the class also tend to forget how many people in the class are not educators but business people for whom this concept mapping will prove to be a valuable technique.

I think it’s odd that in a class that meets solely online we are able to pick out people with whom we want to interact. This is the second class I’ve taken with many people in this group and I have to say this is not a particularly warm and fuzzy group. I wonder about that. I wonder if it’s just the dynamic of the particular members of this group or if something more could have been done to build the community. If more could have been done to build the community, I wonder what it is.

1 comment:

Swedee said...

Good job on your concept map (it’s even color-coordinated with your blog!). The use of different colors and shapes help differentiate the concepts. I see you used Gliffy and were able to insert the image in your blog. It is overwhelming to discover all the new Web 2.0 tools available on the Internet, yet exciting. My suggestion would be to bookmark new tools when you find them and become more familiar with them when you have time. (You could use a social bookmarking site like del.icio.us to keep track of everything.) Concerning community building… Perhaps the sense of community is less because of the number of students in this class – there are 24! I hope that you will experience more community-building within your small group this week.

Jennifer Jenkins